The design takes cues from the Amplitude of a wave. Design by Julien Bergignat, France
Design by Julien Bergignat, France. Made exclusively by Tenjam.
Based on an original idea from 2010, the Amped collection has been re-designed to be set within any welcoming indoor or outdoor spaces. They are inspired by ocean waves and landscapes that absorb you within their curves. The streamlined design offers a poetic and contemporary look at modern furniture.
Tenjam has made a giant leap forward in recycled materials and proven that Recovered Coastal Plastic (RCP) can be economically recovered, recycled, and turned into high performance products suitable for indoor and outdoor use. Tenjam is possibly the first furniture manufacturer in the world to incorporate plastic marine debris into commercial quality furniture.
Through the rotational-molding process and industrial design, these durable eco-friendly products are made available in large quantities, without sacrificing quality or comfort, in a wide range of colors.
The name “Amped” is inspired by the amplitude, the peak of a wave and relate to the backrest of the chair. In the USA for example, Amped is a very positive word. People use it to show off their enthusiasm about doing anything they are looking forward to. “I’m amped to go surfing today!”
So be Amped!
Item # 22101BX_ _: Amped Chair, 16″ Seat Height, 40 lbs
Item # 22101T1_ _: Amped Seat & Side Table, 16.25″ Seat Height, 18 lbs
Amped series currently has two designs. The Amped Chair and the Amped Seat & Side Table. The Seat & Side Table design compliments the chair perfectly and offers great flexibility in your space. The designs have beautiful lines and stunning visual appeal. The flowing curves also make these products exceptionally strong and they have a weight capacity of more than 750 lbs each. Perfect for indoor and outdoor high traffic spaces at schools, hotels, restaurants, museums and more. The designs also look great in a residential setting.
Amped Chair Design and Material Benefits:
- Stay Dry Seat: drain hole designed into the lowest point in the seat pan, allowing water to drain and keep the seat dry.
- Anti-Moisture Trapping: the design of the chair base has minimal contact area with the ground and eliminates the possibility of trapping moisture between the base of the chair and the ground surface.
- Round Edges: increased safety by eliminating sharp edges and corners.
- Wide Base Contact Points: The chair design appears light and airy. The base of the chair actually has wide contact points with the ground to provide great seating stability.
- Rust Proof
- Durable – extreme impact resistance.
- Safe – one part construction, no sharp edges.
- Strong – can support over 750 lbs.
- Chemical Resistance – hard polymer material can withstand hundreds of chemicals, body oils, and fluids.
- Easy Wash – use soap, water, and many common cleaning products.
- Easy Disinfect – use 9:1 water to bleach ratio, hydrogen peroxide, and other disinfectants. There are no stitched seams or hidden crevices where bacteria/bedbugs can harbor.
- Fire Compliance: meets California Technical Bulletin 117-2013 (a.k.a TB117-2013 & CAL117-2013.)
- 100% recyclable
- 10 Year warranty
- MAS Certified Green for healthier indoor air quality.
- BIONIC® Polymer incorporated into every Amped product.
Optional Item # WEIGHTCAP: Add $40 LIST. This is a recessed Screw Cap factory installed into the base. You may open the screw cap and use a funnel to add heavy pea-gravel into the core of the product. The pea-gravel must me sourced locally. With this option you could add over 100 lbs of additional weight to the Amped Chair and over 40 lbs of additional weight to the Amped Seat & Side Table. The added weight may be necessary for outdoor patios and pool decks above the ground floor. Also great for high-traffic spaces where you prefer that your guests do not move the furniture.
Made with a BIONIC® Polymer core. BIONIC® Polymer is made with plastic recovered from shorelines, waterways, and coastal communities. Recovered Coastal Plastic (RCP) = BIONIC® Polymer.
Utilizing BIONIC® Polymer, Tenjam has made a giant leap forward in recycled materials and proven that Recovered Coastal Plastic (RCP) can be economically recovered, recycled, and turned into high performance products. Tenjam is possibly the first manufacturer in the world to incorporate plastic marine debris into commercial quality furniture and the first to incorporate BIONIC® Polymer into any type of product. BIONIC® Polymer is made with plastic recovered from shorelines, waterways, and coastal communities.
Understanding BIONIC® Polymer: Recovered Coastal Plastic (RCP):
Start by viewing the Beach images on this Tenjam product webpage. Look closely at the tiny bits of plastic everywhere on beach. The plants on this beach have grown around bits of plastic and if you lift the plants you will see layers of this plastic pollution going back many years. Keep these images in mind as you think of the work that goes into hand-collecting, transporting, and recycling this plastic into BIONIC® Polymer and into our Tenjam’s FIRM products. Also, think of how these tiny plastic fragments can be easily mistaken for food by marine animals. Fishing lures are flashy…so are these bits of plastic as they get tossed around by the waves and water currents.
The advantages of BIONIC® Polymer:
1) BIONIC® Polymer is plastic pieces that are being hand-collected directly from the beach (shorelines), waterways, and from the ground in coastal communities. This process directly removes plastic pollution from the places where it’s in the direct path of harming marine life. Thus, by removing this material we believe we are saving marine life, removing unsightly pollution, and still making high performance products. That’s a win, win, win.
2) The plastic that is recovered and converted into BIONIC® Polymer is some of the most difficult plastic to collect and recycle. It’s all the types of plastic debris you can imagine floating in the oceans and washing up on the beaches. Abandoned fishing gear, plastic ropes, broken buoys, shredded tarps, packaging, grocery bags, dinnerware, bottles & caps, toys, etc. Plus, it’s generally tiny fragments and takes days and weeks of hard work to clean a shoreline.
3) Our use of BIONIC® Polymer is offsetting equal amounts of virgin plastic and post-consumer and post-industrial recycled plastic.
4) The use of BIONIC® Polymer is opening the eyes of more people to the global problem of plastic pollution in the oceans. We hope that more people begin taking action in their own communities to intercept plastic pollution before it reaches our waterways, oceans, and shorelines.
Designed by Julien Bergignat, France
Julien is a design entrepreneur and industrial designer before everything else. He constantly feeds himself with everyday things, he seeks to cause the “extra-ordinary”, the wonder induced by a mixture of daily and magic among the users. He provides precision and care to the conceptualization and technical development of the project so that these crucial steps give way to the experience and sensations.
Born in Clermont-Ferrand in 1985, he grew up in the heart of France. Wishing to transform his passion for drawing and his curiosity about the industrialisation of objects in a career, he quickly decided to dive into the world of creation. After a Bachelor degree in Applied Arts with honors, a Technician certificate (BTS) in product design, he obtained in 2010, a Master degree in Industrial Design with summa cum laude at L’ École de design Nantes Atlantique.
For him design is an everyday quest, that’s why his professional experiences allows him to explore different design fields such as industrial products, limited edition, high hand as much as mass market objects, scenography and packaging design.